A forum for reverse engineering, OS internals and malware analysis 

All off-topic discussion goes here.
 #3429  by Vrtule
 Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:12 pm
Hello,

does anybody have an idea what is going on with rootkit.com website? It seems to be unreachable for me for some time. But maybe, they finally decided to stop it, there was not much of new content for a long time...
 #3430  by nullptr
 Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:03 am
I haven't been able to get directly there through my ISP for some time either. The only way for me is via a proxy, but when I log in I can't access vaults. It does seem rather dead though, with no new content.
 #3432  by EP_X0FF
 Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:44 am
Main news page was broken for me (empty) for about two months. Currently site is unavailable. As in fact rootkit.com was dead at least few years.
 #3451  by Meriadoc
 Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:58 pm
True enough, it wasn't like it used to be.

I could reach it only yesterday I think or no more than few days, but same it's unreachable now.
 #3452  by Vrtule
 Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:05 pm
EP: Yes, the news page was broken for a long time. I had to log on to see its contents.
 #3453  by EP_X0FF
 Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:07 pm
It pings well. And paid till 2015.
Domain Name: ROOTKIT.COM
Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.
Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
Referral URL: http://www.networksolutions.com
Name Server: NS11.WORLDNIC.COM
Name Server: NS12.WORLDNIC.COM
Updated Date: 24-feb-2010
Creation Date: 02-mar-1999
Expiration Date: 02-mar-2015
Guess site software simple died without attention from admin(s).
 #3476  by jussi
 Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:21 am
nullptr wrote:I haven't been able to get directly there through my ISP for some time either. The only way for me is via a proxy, but when I log in I can't access vaults. It does seem rather dead though, with no new content.
-reason most likely is spammers, attacks, etc coming from your isp which lead to block the netblock. blocking single ip addresses not working as attempts change the address
 #3477  by jussi
 Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:23 am
EP_X0FF wrote:It pings well. And paid till 2015.
Domain Name: ROOTKIT.COM
Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, LLC.
Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
Referral URL: http://www.networksolutions.com
Name Server: NS11.WORLDNIC.COM
Name Server: NS12.WORLDNIC.COM
Updated Date: 24-feb-2010
Creation Date: 02-mar-1999
Expiration Date: 02-mar-2015
Guess site software simple died without attention from admin(s).
-nope. admins role more or less is to keep site running. users role is to submit (and consume) content. this time it either was firewall script going haywire or hard disk died.
 #3478  by jussi
 Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:27 am
hmm, not sure if my posts go through.

basically - main page was not br0ken. due people mirroring the site (causing performance issues), and trying to spam news/comments/memos/etc it was changed to require login.
true is that there was not much new content - admins role is to keep site up, users to submit and consume the content. not so much content lately though as ep_xoff points out.
if you cannot reach site through your isp, reason is that your isp netblock someone has been trying to dos, attack, spam etc the site.
now site is down due probable hd failure and/or one bootup script preventing it to reach workable state.
 #3479  by a_d_13
 Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:11 am
Hello,

Firstly, your posts are going through - I can see all three. Secondly, thank you for letting us know what the problem is, and please check your PM box (on the top, next to "User Control Panel").

Thanks,
--AD